The 27th Annual Canstruction New York Exhibit is over
See you all next year!
We hope you were able to visit the 31 amazing structures in the 2019 Canstruction® New York Exhibit at Brookfield Place New York. The structures were comprised of over 107,000 non-perishable food items containing over 65,000 pounds of food. you can take a virtual tour of the exhibit below.
People's Choice Award
The winner is "For All CANkind" by Gensler!
If you would like more information about Canstruction New York and how you or your firm can be involved, please contact us at email@CanstructionNY.org.
We have our winners!
Congratulations to the award winners of the 27th Annual Canstruction New York Design/Build Competition:
- Best Original Design - LERA Consulting Structural Engineers: Delicate Balance
- Structural Ingenuity - Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects: The LOFTy goal of eliminating hunger
- Best Use of Labels and People's Choice - Gensler: For All CANkind
- Best Meal - RAND Engineering & Architecture, DPC: Don't Let Hunger DRAG ON
- Honorable Mention - Microdesk: Snoopy Soars to the Moon
- Honorable Mention - Thornton Tomasetti - One Small Can for Man, One Giant Leap Against Hunger
- Most Cans - WSP USA: The Grand CANal 7,554 cans
- Cheri Award - Howard L. Zimmerman Architects: Ironing Out Hunger
- Chris Crowley, Food Editor/Food Writer, New York Magazine
- Roger Clark, Reporter, NY1
- Rachel Gurjan, Test Kitchen Manager + Food Editor, FeedFeed Brooklyn
- Jim Powers, AIA, Director of Operations & Business Development, Bohler Engineering
- Ronnette Riley, FAIA, LEED AP, Principal/Owner, Ronnette Riley Architect
- Margaret Zakarian, President, Zakarian Hospitality
From left to right: Chris Crowley, Ronnette Riley, Jim Powers, Rachel Gurjan, Margaret Zakarian, and Roger Clark
About the Competition
View the 2019 Press Release
Canstruction New York awards are given in the following categories:
Canstruction International Award categories, which go on to the International Awards Competition:
1 for Best Original Design
1 for Structural Ingenuity
1 for Best Meal
1 for Most Cans
1 for People’s Choice
Canstruction New York Award categories, which are only given locally:
1 for the Cheri C. Melillo Award (nicknamed the Cheri)
2 for Honorable Mention
All Canstruction International Award winners go on to compete internationally through submission of photography to a panel of jurors. The winners are announced at the AIA and SDA conventions in Spring 2020. The international jury may give additional awards.
Maximum size of structure is 8'L x 8'W x 8'H.
Follow Canstruction® New York on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.